The Center for Humans and Machines at the Max Planck Institute for Human Development in Berlin seeks applicants for a DevOps Engineer full-time, up to E14 TVöD, limited to two years with the possibility of extension.
The Center for Humans & Machines (CHM) conducts interdisciplinary science to under-stand, anticipate, and shape major disruptions from digital media and Artificial Intelligence to the way we think, learn, work, play, cooperate and govern. Our goal is to understand how machines are shaping human society today and how they may continue to shape it in the future. The Center is comprised of an interdisciplinary, international, and diverse group of scholars and a science support team. To complement this team, we are looking for a moti-vated DevOps Engineer.
- Serve as a cross-functional leader who translates research needs into technical require-ments
- Lead the technical development of small- and large-scale online research projects (e.g. https://www.moralmachine.net)
- Build and maintain an infrastructure for the production of online experiments at our center
- Consult scientists on fitting technical solutions for their online experiments
- Translate needs into technical requirements
- Draft IT architectures for experiments (e.g. Web-based, VR, etc.) for custom systems or using and extending existing libraries and blueprints
- Provide technical support in the use and adaptation of experimental blueprints
- Onboard and manage Research Assistants and dev-freelancers from contracted hiring platforms
- Create roadmaps for projects and monitor progress (including cost estimation and moni-toring)
- Act as project owner in large-scale online research projects
- Long-term resource planning and coordination across projects
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field/experience
- 2+ years of experience in product development of digital products
- Experience in managing interdisciplinary teams
- Experience in software project resource planning, coordination and monitoring
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases
- Experience with cloud-based dockerized deployment, e.g. AWS, Kubernetes
- Experience in data science, e.g. data processing, machine learning, data visualization is a plus
- Ability to understand and compose technical architecture documentation
- Proficient in agile development methods for example Scrum, Kanban
- Excellent communication skills in English
What we offer
- A cross-functional position at an internationally renowned scientific institute at the fo-refront of AI and Human interactions research
- Insights into the research of the Center for Humans and Machines and involvement in projects on Artificial Intelligence and ethics
- Comprehensive onboarding and time to learn new skills
- Possibility to work remotely (e.g., from home office)
- Being part of a highly motivated international and interdisciplinary team
- A modern, family-friendly workplace with a great work-life balance culture
- The position is limited to two years with the possibility of extension
The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds.
The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.
Please apply by November 30, 2022 (application deadline) by providing the following documents:
- short cover letter,
- a CV without a photo,
- a copy of relevant certificates.
Please apply via: career-chm